Friday, December 12, 2008

27 days....

I read somewhere that it takes 27 days to form a habit. I've been playing poker almost everyday since 2005, except for a few 2-3 month breaks i took as a result of personal or pc issues... I'm practically addicted! As a result of recent reflection I've come to realize just how deeply poker has become embedded in my everyday life.

Because of my current state of mind and bankroll i thought it would be best to not play for a while, but everywhere i turn there is poker. I logged onto my computer (home & work) and practically all of my frequently visited sites are related to poker. I decide to take a book to work to read during down time but all books i usually read are poker related. when i sit down to my computer at home there is a great urge to play poker because that is how i spend most of my time at my home computer. I find it hard to just watch TV because i usually watch TV and play poker or browse poker sites. Most evenings after work are spent reading about, watching videos about or playing poker, so now that I've decided not play i feel out of sorts about what to do.

I don't think I'm addicted to poker but it has definitely become a huge habit. The difference between a habit and an addiction is how far you go with the habit imo. I still go out, i don't play over my bankroll, i don't neglect other areas of my life just to play poker... nevertheless it is a huge habit that i need to bring into balance with other parts of my life, so that i can continue to grow and expand in all areas.

They say a habit is formed in 27 days of consistently doing something, so it follows that you can get into the habit of not doing something if you don't do it for 27 days also. Makes sense? Neway (<--i saw this word somewhere and i think it will be an official new word in a few years.. IM taking over, lol). Neway i digress, I've decided not to play poker for 27 days starting today. This weekend will be hard because I'm off today, and i usually spend the early part of Saturday and almost all of Sunday playing.

So the plan is to not play, read about, or watch videos about poker for the next 27 days. After which i will be able to better integrate it into my life. thoughts?

2 comments:

United113 said...

you getting withdrawal symptoms yet?!?!

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very nice......

AddThis Feed Button